Runners against Rubbish

Good morning friends,

This moring is an exciting one - it sees the launch of my charity, Runners against Rubbish.

When out running, I am often disappointed at the amount of rubbish I see discarded. Some of it is general rubbish, but some is clearly dropped by those of us out enjoying the hills (Gel tops are a classic example). In an effort to try and do something about this, I have founded RaR.

We hope that runners will sign up and take our three-point pledge:

1. I will never drop any rubbish and will always take my rubbish to a bin
2. I will encourage others not to drop rubbish
3. I will pick up rubbish when I see it and am able to do so


Of course, the vast majority of runners are conscientious and would never drop rubbish, so this pledge is nothing new, but it's all about raising awareness, and eventually making it so socially unacepptable that even those who currently do drop rubbish can be reached.

The way we propose to do this is through the tried and tested medium of... Stickers! (and badges). Our window sticker, which is sent to all members on signing up for our lifetime membership at £2:


Members will also recieve a pin badge, which I reckon could be used as one of your four pins to hold your race number on.

Creating awareness and mindfulness is the key, so getting as many members as possible on board is the first priority. After that, I hope we might be able to organise clean-up events in areas where significant amounts of rubbish have been dropped, and to help race organisers make sure that no rubbish is left after events.

But that's all in the future... For now, we need members! If agree with me (and others like Steve Birkinshaw), why not join us and become a "Binner"?

www.runnersagainstrubbish.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kinder Killer

100km review - Scott Supertrac Ultra RC

The irony of trees